Part of our mission statement as The Harbor Church of the Nazarene is that we are “a community serving others”. With the devastation that has happened from Hurricane Harvey, we want to make you aware of several ways you can join us in pitching in to help those who have been affected.
1. Monetary Donations. Nazarene Compassionate Ministries has already mobilized and if you would like to donate to the Hurricane Harvey Response Fund, you can do so here: https://give.nazarene.org/donate/f/128206 . Also, any checks brought to The Harbor marked as “hurricane response”, we will collect and forward those donations to the response fund.
2. We will be collecting packages of new underwear and socks of all sizes to be sent to a Houston-based organization called “undies for everyone” ( www.undiesforeveryone.org ) that has been distributing them to those affected by the flooding. You can drop these off at the Harbor and we will pack and ship them out.
3. We will also be collecting items at the Harbor for Nazarene Compassionate Ministry’s “Crisis care kits” which are used during natural disasters around the world. These have been distributed to people in Houston already through NCM, but they are also being distributed to the victims of horrible flooding going on in South Asia right now as well. We will be collecting items and the Harbor Youth group will be assembling the crisis care kits to be sent out to the holding facility in Fawn Grove PA, where they are then shipped out to areas in need. Please have your items in to the Harbor by 9/16, so we can assemble the kits on the 17th. Most of the items can be found at the dollar store:
• 1 medium-size bottle of shampoo (12-18 oz.), (please tape flip-tops closed)
• 2 bars of soap (bath-size or larger)
• 1 medium toothpaste (4.0-6.4 oz.)
• 3 toothbrushes (in original packaging)
• 1 box of Band-Aids (30 or more)
• 1 fingernail clipper
• 1 sturdy hair comb
• 2 hand towels
• 4 pocket-size packages of facial tissue
• 1 Beanie Baby-size stuffed toy
Please click on this link for more information: http://www.ncmi.org/assets/cck-instructions_2012.pdf
Thank you for your help, and if you have any questions, please contact us and we will try to answer as best we can.